Here’s a healthier version of chicken fingers with a dipping sauce! Another great appetizer that won’t break the waistline bank!
- 2 large chicken breasts (about 1 lb), cut into strips
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 T xantham gum*
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t ground mustard powder
- 1 t sweet paprika
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- 2 T sesame seeds
- 1 t sea salt
- ½ t ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 T olive oil
Minty Yogurt Dip
- 1 container (7 oz / 200 gr) plain Greek yogurt
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ garlic clove, smashed
- ½ t sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste*xantham gum is a thickening agent
- Preheat oven to 400°F and place a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk almond flour, shredded coconut, arrowroot powder, mustard, paprika, cayenne pepper, sesame seeds, salt and black pepper.
- Dip chicken strips in the eggs and let excess drip off, then drop in the almond flour mix bowl to coat on all sides. Place coated chicken strips onto the lined baking sheet and repeat until all chicken is used.
- Drizzle with olive oil, place in the oven and bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Flip halfway through the cooking time.
- In the meantime make the minty yogurt dip. Pick and finely chop the mint leaves, discarding the stalks.
- In a bowl combine yogurt, chopped mint, lemon zest, lemon juice, smashed garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When chicken strips are ready, allow to cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet and then serve with the dipping sauce.
These could also be cooked in an air fryer. Preheat to 370 degrees. Place chicken fingers in single layer on lightly sprayed basket. Cook for approximately 10 minutes on each side, depending on thickness.