Always on the hunt for quick and easy BUT healthy recipes. I am a newly empty nester, cooking for one. This recipe is great because you can prepare it ahead of time and when you’re ready to eat, just toss it in your oven and reheat as needed or fire up your air fryer and eat as you need.
This recipe was adapted from SkinnyTaste!
For the filling:
- 1/2 lb 99% lean ground turkey, beef or bison
- 3/4 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups frozen corn
- 1 hot pickled serrano pepper, chopped (or jalepeño) more to taste
- 1 large diced tomato or 3/4 cup of diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp cumin
- kosher or pink himalayan salt to taste
For the peppers:
- 3 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 9 tbsp shredded reduced-fat Sargento Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- chopped green scallion and cilantro as garnish
- In a large skillet brown the ground meat and season with salt.
- When the meat is browned, add onion, garlic, black beans, cilantro, serrano pepper, diced tomatoes, and cumin. Mix well and simmer on low, covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, add corn and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until all the liquid reduces.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds and stem.
- Spray bottom of air fryer with olive oil.
- Fill each pepper with 1/2 cup turkey mixture.
- Place peppers, cut side up in an air fryer.
- Air Fry at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. (check peppers at 6 minutes as cooking time depends on model of air fryer).
- Add cheese if desired and air fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- It’s important to check time or the meat will be dry!
Alternative is 350 degrees in oven for conventional oven after step 5 do the following:
- Place peppers, cut side up in an oven-proof dish. Fill each pepper with 1/2 cup turkey mixture. Pour about 1/3 cup water or chicken broth on the bottom of the dish.
- Cover tight with foil. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the peppers become soft.
- Remove foil, top each with 1 1/2 tbsp of cheese and bake uncovered an additional 5 minutes.
Memorial Day Melt Starts 4/29!! Join us for your own “spring training”. Call or text to schedule your FREE STARTING POINT session today! 610.308.0189